Top 10 Priorities
1. Icon Projects
These are projects with significant economic and employment outcomes across the region.
Support for projects such as the, Dunn & Lewis Youth Centre, Bundanon Trust, Four Star hotel development, Private & Public Health Care Development, Fleet Air Arm Development, Shaolin Temple, broadband infrastructure, Botanical Gardens and Marina developments throughout Shoalhaven City.
2. Transport infrastructure for the South Coast
Work with appropriate agencies on projects such as:
- Albion Park By-Pass
- The completion of Main Road 92 beyond Nerriga to the Hume highway; the Berry to Bomaderry realignment; and a 3rd crossing of the Shoalhaven River.
- The provision of better access to employment through regional transport such as buses, car pooling and the development of cycle ways.
- Better car, motorcycle, bike, within the Nowra CDB and township areas through the Shoalhaven.
- Improved transport network across the region to improve employment opportunities – provide access to SBD’s and employ lands.
3. CBD Revitalisation & Promotion
Work with Shoalhaven City Council, building owners and tenants to improving the look and feel of the Central Business Districts in Nowra and Ulladulla, and the impact of the gateway areas to the city. This includes the use of funds to promote the CBD areas (through the Nowra Central Promotions Committee), better signage to promote businesses, streetscaping, beautification and tourism activities and redevelopment and increased development of CBD retail throughout the city.
4. Water Front Developments
- The development of the Riverfront in Nowra to provide an impressive gateway and economic benefit to the Shoalhaven.
- Further development of Ulladulla Harbor, including the boardwalk and other projects to improve business activity and profitability of business in these areas.
- Other marina development sites within the Shoalhaven, including Shoalhaven River, Jervis Bay and Ulladulla.
5. Business Reform
Provide information and help with regard to business issues such as Mandatory Ethanol level in fuel, Payroll tax ( reduce to 4%), new EPA regulations effecting business within the Shoalhaven, WH&S, compliance and the reduction of red tape and bureaucracy that creates barriers to Business performance.
6. Funding Opportunities
Work with Local, State and Federal Governments to open up funding opportunities for business here in the Shoalhaven. Improve relationship with funding bodies such as Shoalhaven City Council, Industry & Investment NSW and Regional Development Australia. This includes supporting networks such as Defence, Consultants and areas that other businesses can build and benefit from.
7. Shoalhaven Council
To work with Council for better tendering policies for local business, faster turnaround on development issues and policies that lead to a sustainable business environment within the city. This includes a strong presence on Councils “Business & Jobs Growth Committee” and CBD Action Plan. Work with Council on the plans to provide economic benefit to the region. Support for the Blue Biotech industry development strategy. (Support city wide branding for the Shoalhaven)
8. Workforce Development & Training.
Encourage staff development and training in the region to increase the capacity of the workforce, by coordinating and supporting courses form Government departments, University of Wollongong (increasing courses throughout region), TAFE, Kiama Community College, Illawarra ITEC, and private organizations that provide training to regional business. Work with Shoalhaven Professionals on regional professional employee retention and young professional mentoring.
9. Encouraging Business Investment in the Shoalhaven
Assist to shape policy at all three levels of government to support the growth and Shoalhaven business; to attract more businesses to relocate to the Shoalhaven. To develop areas such as, manufacturing, Defence, Government Service, Aquaculture, Blue Biotech, tourism (Inc. est of flagship events, blessing fleet/ River Festival/Fishing, ECO Tourism, Dairy, industry diversification, and sea-change type investments in business. Promotion of the NBN to encourage sustainable organisations to relocate to the region.
10. Target Potential Growth Areas
Assist businesses in towns and villages across the Shoalhaven to build and expand their own industrial areas to provide better employment opportunities in these more remote areas, as many are limited in public transport options. This includes light manufacturing, tourism and other employment business within the region.